Friday, April 29, 2016

An Open Letter to My Daughter's Teachers

I get it, I do.

You are stressed beyond the max. I can see it because I've spent the last year coming in and out of classrooms as I learn to become a teacher.

I know its not your fault.

The system is broken.

I am so sorry that our government has failed you.

I am sorry that you work endless hours for crappy pay, and it just plain ol' sucks.

But I see you. I see what you do everyday. The love and energy you put into these kids.

I am so angry that our government won't give the next generation of Americans what they need to keep this country great.

I know Alexandra is a handful - I live with her.

I know she's got a mouth and a half. Its partly just her and partly me.

I'm sorry I am not as politically correct as I should be, I have no filter, and say whatever comes to mind because I just don't have the time to think about what I am saying. - Alexandra has only learned from me.

But she is also a product of her condition. This means she is spoiled, thinks she is the center of the universe, and demands you do everything for her. - I'm sorry that I created that monster - I wanted to do whatever to keep her breathing.

When you spend your time just focusing on staying alive, you do stupid things. You can't really think about the future person your creating because well - all you want them to do is live to see tomorrow. Now you have to deal with my mess. I'm sorry.

I know you've got so many kids on your workload, and no one to help you. They won't let the aides be more involved - which I think is totally ludicrous - and its all because as Americans we are sue happy and offended by everything.

Why can't we just love?

Why does our state government make up stupid Propositions that 'say' they will help our public school system when they'll just earmark the money for something else?

I am so sorry Alexandra's teachers. The system has failed you, and failed her. You became a teacher because you wanted to make a difference - same reason why I want to become one. All you have received is nothing in return for the lifetime investment you are making in our countries future.

I hear you. I see you. I know you love Alexandra. And I know she says things she shouldn't. She is literally a force of nature. We will never tame her. I truly believe that to tame her means we will kill her.

But when I see pictures like the one at the bottom of this page - I see the real Alexandra. The sadness, the pain. The inability to understand why she was chosen to bear such a weight.

God, I would give ANYTHING to make her be normal. I would give anything to make it so she sat still in your classroom and just learned everything without jumping out of her seat and saying she's gonna 'shoot' someone.

But you see - those sarcastic whips, those little jabs she makes at you, and at other kids, that's her defense mechanism. She perceives everything as a potential threat.

I am so sorry teachers. You work so hard. You have given and given to Alexandra. You have given to me. I know you have jobs to do. And when a child says something inappropriate you have to worry about every other child, and what that child's parents would think.

I mean I think some parents need to grow some balls, but....whoops. Sorry.

We have created so many laws to make sure we are this or that - we can't even live. What if we just loved? If we just loved, wouldn't we be able to understand our fellow human more? Wouldn't we all have a greater understanding of the human condition?

So teachers - I am sorry. I am sorry that you have to bear this burden. Soon I will be one of you. Trapped by the rigors of the political system that has over reached and buried us with laws that they should have no business in - because we as humans can't accept one another. So we have to pass laws to force people to accept. My God if that isn't the most far from what Jesus' message was I don't know anything.....

I'm sorry teachers. I hope Alexandra can be better in 4th grade. I'm so sorry.




No comments:

Post a Comment