Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Compassion and Belonging

I've been thinking about compassion.

What does compassion look like?

Is compassion a perceptual thing?

What about love? Are love and compassion intertwined?

In my opinion absolutely.

When I exude love - when I make a conscious effort to just love people for just being people - I exude compassion.

In being a part of the amazing organization that is Stanford Medicine X I have had the honor of being introduced to people I would have never come in contact with in my every day life.

These people have expanded and grown my love for humanity. I see people's reasons for why they do what they do - and don't fault them for any of it.

People will make mistakes. People will do things that will make you angry. You won't always agree with every one.

But what you can be is compassionate. You can allow them to be who they are. They don't affect you - you allow them to affect you.

Every day you have the choice of how you will react to the days business.

And just so everyone knows I react badly all the time - I'm not saying I'm perfect.

But what I've decided to do is accept people for who they are and appreciate their experience as a human BEING.

I have chosen to think twice before reacting.

When we look at each other with love in our hearts - we can feel the connection that ties all of us together.

I am so grateful I have had the opportunity to be a part of a diverse and supportive community.

For the first time in my life - I feel like I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment